I’m still seeing a lot of Vista people still complaining that their speakers reset to 2 channel. This problem is very annoying, because it means setting speakers back to multispeaker after every restart.
The latest official Audigy drivers (2.18.0001) refuse to allow anything other than 2.1 for some people. The problem is caused by the same faulty files…
Thankfully, this is a really easy problem to fix.
* Under Programs, select “Change Startup Programs”
* When Windows Defender pops up, scroll down to CtHelper Application (CtHelper.exe) and disable any entries regarding it. (by clicking disable button – there may be more than one CtHelper present too! Maybe disable all Creative start-up entries…
* Go to Creative Audio Console & Set your speakers to 5.1 or whatever, then restart to test it.
* Select “Speakers – Creative X-Fi / Audigy” and hit the “Properties” button
* Navigate to “Levels” and hit the “Balance” button
* Here you will find independant volume levels for your Creative soundcard